Admittedly I did not expect the 3k's worth of likes and 100's of comments however I wanted to share why I genuinely believe that to achieve the high's of both professional and personal life you absolutely need to pay attention and 'leave the office on time'.
Over the last 10 years I've constantly heard the wonderful phrase of work life balance, 'Work–life balance is a concept including proper prioritizing between "work" (career and ambition) and "lifestyle" (health, pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual development/meditation)'.
So what does this really mean and why do I genuinely believe in leaving the office on time?
1. Work is a never ending process - It's fact and we may as well get used to it, therefore stop focusing on 1 day or 1 week and start planning for a career. So harness the skills of time management and stop trying to get everything done in a day!
2. Interest of a client is important, so is your family - Honestly I scoff at the remark from those who think 2 hours in the evening is enough for your family, it's really not. They will always enrich your life more than a client ever can, give them the time they deserve.
3. If you fall in life neither your client or boss will lend you a helping hand, your family will - Don't get me wrong I was conflicted with this as I try to be a good boss and always try to be there, but I try, families always will, no questions asked.
4. Life is not only about work, office, and client - I love the people and industry I work within and man when we celebrate it's fantastic but do you know what, that's one moment. With friends and family, it's continuous and without expectation. Cherish your moments with family/friends and experience new adventures with them as well.
5. A person who stays late at the office is not a hardworking person - This raised a lot of dispute on my original post and I understand why people would disagree but I have a different view. I have learnt in 10 years of recruitment that those who are able to work effectively in the time provided they are hugely successful and enjoy a great work life balance. If you are working 10-12 hours I beg you to look at what you are trying achieve and question whether they are genuinely adding benefit. Plan your day before you start your day, don't do it at 8am or 8.30am when your day has started as your already chasing your tail. Don't be a fool.
6. You did not study hard or struggle in life to become a machine - Nail on head, machines can operate 24 hours a day with the right fuel. You cannot, balance your life, remember you have 24 hours a day, 8 hours to sleep, 8 hours to work, 8 hours of your own!
7. If your boss forces you to work late - You know what I am a boss. If I have to ask anyone to work late or work late myself I am a fool. To date, I have never asked anyone to work late, I never will. Practice what you preach.
I could go on for hours as this is a subject dear to me. I was a son with a father I rarely saw due to work. I've seen families torn apart because parents put work before family. I've heard of young fathers passing away because of stress at work and working 16 hours a day.
ALWAYS LEAVE THE OFFICE ON TIME.