Karen Matthews has over 25 years experience in leading turnaround, change and growth across Retail, Wholesale and Franchising and summarises her career in 5 distinct but interconnected chapters….
- First stop was Myer, where Karen “cut her teeth” and learnt the art of retail, buying and marketing.
- From there, Karen moved into brand management, licensing and product development with the FJ Benjamin Group, working with wonderful brand such as Guess, Ann Taylor and Gucci.
- Chapter 3 comprised 10 wonderful years as CEO of skincare company Ella Bache, where she developed and launched Australia’s first skincare franchise and developed her passion and love of change, heart led leadership and the power of culture first.
- Karen’s last corporate role was as Retail Director with Freedom Furniture, where she led their 50 stores and 1200 staff in all things retail – another massive change role.
- In 2016, Karen launched, “Karen Matthews - Inspiring Change” – Chapter 5 of her journey where she is now passionate about leveraging her experience and teaching and supporting other businesses and their teams to identify and implement the changes needed in their business to grow.
Karen is recognised in the market as a confident and innovative leader with strong operational and strategic experience and an unwavering commitment to vision, people and results, all delivered through the eyes of her own experience.
She regularly speaks to businesses and industry groups and at conferences on leadership, change management, planning, branding along with all things retail from high performance metrics and profitability to the all-important customer experience and the importance of staying nimble and on brand.
She has won a number of awards over her career including 2004 Telstra NSW Business Woman of Year, 2005 PWC NSW Franchise Woman Year and 2007 PWC National Franchise Woman of Year.
Last but not least, Karen has 2 gorgeous teenagers, a patient, calm and understanding husband, a to die for beaglier called Maggie and is obsessed with Crossfit - which confirms she actually is also crazy!!!